I have all my new clients submit a food log when they first start working with me. Often, I see store bought protein bars as morning or afternoon snacks on their food log, often without a workout prior to the snack. I think sometimes people buy and eat protein bars with a false sense of how healthy they are. While some protein bars on the market are less processed and much better than others, more often than not they are candy in disguise. Bars like Cliff and Builder's Bar are probably better suited to long outdoor hiking, biking, climbing or skiing expeditions than to a regular afternoon snack.
So I'll often suggest to my clients that they try making their own, less processed version of a protein bar.
These tasty homemade protein bars are a spin off the Oh She Glows recipe. Give credit where credit is due. Here is my variation below:
1.5 cups of oats
1/2 cup of vega oh natural protein powder
1/2 cup of Kamut puffs (cereal)
1/4-1/2 teaspoon of Himalayan sea salt
1/2 cup of nut or seed butter (peanut, almond, etc)
1/4 cup of maple syrup
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
4-5 ounces of unsweetened bakers chocolate
1. Mix all dry ingredients in a food processor: oats, kamut puffs, salt and protein powder.
2. Add nut butter, maple syrup, banana and vanilla to the mix. If consistency is too dry, add splash of milk and mix again. (Milk, almond milk, coconut milk - your choice).
3. Press mixture firmly into square pan and place in freezer for 10-15 minutes.
4. Melt bakers chocolate in sauce pan and drizzle overtop of bars.
5. Keep refrigerated or freeze in air tight container.
Enjoy non-processed pre or post-workout protein bars!
To learn more about fitness, nutrition and a holistic approach to weight loss, visit the Fit Chicks Fitness & Nutrition Expert Program, and the Natural Weight Loss Coach program.
Don't forget to subscribe to our newsletter for outdoor fitness trips, recipes, and tips and tricks on everything Stand Up Paddle, & fitness.
Nikki Johnston Beaudoin is an outdoorsy Mountain Mermaid, and the Owner and Operator of Sea to Sky Paddle Fit.